Saturday, May 27, 2006

Book Expo

Last Saturday was truly an unforgettable day. I woke up at 4am-ish -- which should be a crime by the way -- got ready, got on a bus and then got on a plane to D.C. Besides my disabilitating fear of flying, I was super excited. For one day, I got to go to Book Expo America, the biggest event in book publishing. It's a convention held every May (sometimes June) when book publishers and other business create elaborate booths in a grandiose convention center to show off their wares to booksellers and other folk. Authors and remainder buyers swarm around the booths like hawks hoping to court a publisher or two. It's all shmooze and all excitement. When I arrived at the Washington Convention Center I was in awe! I got to wander around for a few hours oggling at other publisher's goodies before going to my company's booth for "booth duty." My job was basically to handsell our titles, pass out free goodies (something Book Expo is famous for) such as galleys (pre-publication copies of books), tote bags, postcards and catalogs, and answer as many questions as I could. It was so great to see so many people excited about the industry. The whole experience reminded me why I'm in this business: because I truly love books. And being around so many other people who've dedicated huge parts of their lives to books, only made me more proud of my career! I still can't stop talking about the experience! I have made a Yahoo! Photo Album for you to see some pictures from my trip. Please enjoy.

4 comments:

BWK Art said...

Had I been there, I would've felt sure I'd died and gone to heaven!!! Wish we had stuff like that 'round these parts.

Wow, great photos of the expo. Sounds like your booth was a hit. It looked terrific. Glad it went so well. :)

Raquel Stecher said...

Bev,

But you do! Book Expo Canada is held in Toronto every year around mid-June.

BWK Art said...

Just a little too far for me to get to. *sigh* :( (That's 3-4 hours by plane not to mention outrageous ticket prices. ugh) Ah well...maybe someday.

Raquel Stecher said...

Wow. I didn't realize it was so far away. I guess I should have looked at a map!