Thursday, June 02, 2005

I Heart Bobby Darin

I just recently made the startling revelation that I have a crush on the late-great crooner Bobby Darin. (It’s very innocent I assure you as I highly respect those who have passed on.) My realization of this subconscious infatuation began a few days ago, when I watched my very first Bobby Darin film. It was his second joint venture with cutesy wife Sandra Dee, and that film was called “That Funny Feeling.” It had been at the time “inconceivable” how that title would foreshadow what was to come. Although it may sound “unbelievable,” I had only known Bobby Darin by name. I had absolutely no notion of what he looked like or what songs he was famous for or anything. When I took one look at him, I was instantly captivated! This man had the most amazing smile. Not even a smile, more like a gentle half smirk. In my humble opinion, his lips rival those of legendary lips of Elvis, Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum or to use a modern example, LL Cool J. And when he cracked that smile, two of the most adorable dimples would appear, making me swoon with delight. I was still a bit disconnected by the fact that I still was unfamiliar with his music. One trip to amazon.com solved that in a jip. I discovered that out of this boyish frame came a manly voice that could blow you away. My jaw dropped as I discovered that he was famous for tunes that I have heard over and over again all through out my life and have enjoyed. Splish Splash (I know it by heart, even the instrumentals), Dream Lover, Mack the Knife and Beyond the Sea are all personal favorites of mine. Yeah sure other people have done renditions of these songs. Even Kevin Kline sang “La Mer”, which is a French version of “Beyond the Sea” for the film “French Kiss.” But there is no mistaking the soulful voice of ::sigh:: Bobby Darin. Now, if you’d be so kind please excuse me while I gush and swoon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He *is* kinda of cute in that squeeky clean kinda way. :) I didn't realize how many famous songs were all because of Bobby Darin! I'm an old fashioned gal muhself, and I usually go weak in the knees over the classy crooners of days gone by...actually, it's more actors in my case (Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, etc....woohooo!)

-bookyeti

Raquel Stecher said...

I enjoy the actors too. I'm completely smitten with Robert Mitchum and his bad boy charm! And nothing beats Kirk Douglas in Spartacus. Whew! Sorry need to fan myself now.