So last week it was Shakespeare on the Common, and this time it's Baroque in Boston. Actually, it was more like Baroque in Cambridge. I ventured out last night to Sanders Theatre (<-- click to see a pic) at Harvard to go see the Boston Landmark's Orchestra perform some Baroque pieces. And just like Shakespeare on the Common, this was free. I got there early and thus had the most amazing seats! The chamber orchestra was a 20 person set with 11 violins, 3 violas, 3 cellos, a bass and one very enthusiastic conductor. The music was so spectacular that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. They played Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances Suite II, Bach's Violin Concerto No. 2 in E Major (my favorite!!), Telemann's Don Quixote Suite (you could literally envision Don Quixote's horse galloping along the countryside) and a few suprise pieces. I was tremendously pleased.
I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy when I go see these kinds of concerts. I played second violin in an orchestra for four years, albeit in elementary and junior high school. But I remember what it was like, being on that stage with your instrument and playing amazing classical pieces in front of large crowds. It's the most amazing feeling. You get this adrenaline rush that transfers an amazing amount of energy into your instrument which thus creates incredible music. However, my musical talents and ambitions were weak so I left behind my orchestra days and now can appreciate the dedication these professional musicians have to pursue their art.
So if your in the Boston area, they are playing again on July 25th at 8pm on the Common! I highly recommend the show, especially if you are a classical music fan. It's free, it's high quality and it's a lot of fun.
1 comment:
WOW This sounds great! Oh man I think it's time to look up the outdoor concerts playing around here. You have me all excited now...lol.
Post a Comment